13-Year-Old Impregnated By Father in Edo Puts To Bed

13-Year-Old Impregnated By Father in Edo Puts To Bed


13-year-old girl, who was impregnated by her 42 years old father, has giving birth to a baby girl at the Benin Central Hospital.

It was previously stated that Friday Moses the commercial motorcyclist, started sleeping with his daughter at age seven after the girl’s mother died.

When the act became public knowledge in October last year, and an Edo State Family Court sentenced the man to 14 years imprisonment with hard Labour, the state government took the teenager into protective custody.

Meanwhile, the teenager has said she would like to continue with her education and become a medical doctor.

She stated that as at the time she was impregnated by her father, she was yet to write her First School Leaving Certificate examination, but that she would be happy if her education is supported by good-spirited individuals.

Medical Director of the hospital, Dr. Philip Ugbodaga, said he has directed the management to cancel the medical bills of the teenager.

Dr. Ugbodaga said the hospital was in collaboration with the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development to take proper care of the teenage mother and her baby.

Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Ms Magdalene Ohenhen, could not be reached for comments.  

Source: Vanguard

Mother, Daughter Steal, Sell Baby For N250,000

Mother, Daughter Steal, Sell Baby For N250,000

A middle-aged woman and her 17-year-old daughter have been arrested by operatives of Anambra State Police Command for allegedly stealing and selling a four-year-old girl for N250,000.

It was reported that they both conspired and stole one Mmesoma Ikoko from the custody of her mother, Mrs. Nneka Ikoko, of Mammy Market, Army Barracks, Onitsha.

The suspects, whose name were given as Ngozi Ede and her daughter, Kosiso, committed the offence at Awada, Obosi, in Idemili North local government area of the state.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Haruna Mohammed, who confirmed the story, said the stolen child had been recovered and handed over to her mother in good condition.

According to Mohammed, police detectives attached to Awada Division arrested the 42 year-old Mrs. Ede and her 17 year-old daughter, Kosiso Ede, who resides at No 4 Ukaegbu junction, Awada.

He said police investigation led to the arrest of one Ifeoma Okeke, aged 45 years, who collected the child from the suspects and handed over to one Ifeoma Okonkwo at Eke Nkpor.

Mohammed said the stolen baby was recovered in good condition and handed over to her mother, while the sum of N250, 000 suspected to be part of the proceeds of the illicit transaction was also recovered by the police as exhibit.

The PPRO explained that the suspects would be charged to court after completing investigations.

Source: Vanguard

Bird Flu Hits Plateau, Kills 3,900 Birds

Bird Flu Hits Plateau, Kills 3,900 Birds

The Chief Veterinary Officer of the state, Dr Spak Shaset, told the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Jos, that the outbreak had affected two farms in the Jos North and Jos South Local Government Areas of the state


An outbreak of bird flu, also known as avian influenza, has hit Plateau State, killing at least 3,900 birds.

He said, “Sometimes in January, when we heard of an outbreak of the dreaded disease in some part of Bauchi State, we knew Plateau is at risk.

“I immediately summoned our divisional health officers in the 17 local government councils, and in less than 72 hours after we met, report got to us of suspected cases in some farms in the state.

“We immediately swung into action and took sample from the farms to our labs and it was confirmed it is bird flu.

“Without hesitation, we went and depopulated the farms to avoid further spread of the disease to other farms.

“More than 3,900 birds were destroyed; 2,900 from the farm in Jos South and 1,000 in the farm in Jos North.”

Shaset said the two farms were disinfected and quarantined to avoid further spread to nearby farms so that other poultry farmers would not incur losses.

The official said the government had taken steps to avert further spread of the disease to other areas of the state, which if left unattended to, could also transmit into human beings, which according to him could be very disastrous.

Shaset charged poultry farmers and live bird marketers to step up bio-security and hygiene measures within and around their farms and markets.

Man bags 4 years imprisonment for cutting off neighbour’s hand

Man bags 4 years imprisonment for cutting off neighbour’s hand


A Magistrates Court at Lugbe, Abuja on Tuesday sentenced Suleiman Ayuba to four years imprisonment for cutting off his neighbour’s hand.

Ayuba, a resident of Aso Sabo Lugbe Airport Road, Abuja, was arraigned alongside his brother, Suleiman Zakari, on a three-count charge of disturbance of public peace, assault and causing grievous hurt.

The Magistrate, Mr Idharhi Samuel, in his judgment, sentenced Ayuba to four years imprisonment without option of fine.

Samuel ordered that the convict should be taken to Kuje Prisons where he is expected to serve the prison terms.

The magistrate also sentenced Suleiman Zakari to six months imprisonment with an option of N6, 000 fine.

He warned the convicts to desist from committing crimes after serving out their punishment.

The magistrate said that the punishment would have been more severe if they had not pleaded guilty and saved the court the pains of prolonged prosecution.

He held that his judgment would serve as deterrent to others and ordered the police to bring Iliyasu Abdullahi, whose hand was cut off to the court after his treatment. The Prosecutor, Mrs Ukoha Ndidi, had earlier told the court that the three men were arrested and brought to Lugbe Police Station on Feb. 2.

Ndidi said that on the same date, at about 9: p. m., Ayuba, Zakari and Abdullahi for no reason, violently engaged themselves in a fight resulting in disturbance of public peace.

She said in the process of mediating peace by Rakiya, surname unknown, Abdullahi brought his cutlass and cut her.

The prosecutor said in return Ayuba intentionally and violently used the same cutlass and cut off Abdullahi’s hand.

The prosecutor explained that as a result, Abdullahi sustained grievous hurt and was rushed to the hospital.

She said they were immediately apprehended and handed over to the police.

Ndidi said that during police interrogation, they could not give a satisfactory account of their actions.

According to her, the offences contravene the provisions of Sections 79, 113 and 247 of the Penal Code.

The convicts did not deny the charges preferred against them after their arraignment.

(NAN) 


5 Killed, 35 Abducted, As Gunmen Invade 17 Communities In Niger

5 Killed, 35 Abducted, As Gunmen Invade 17 Communities In Niger

At least five persons were confirmed dead yesterday, while 35 were abducted, following the invasion of 17 communities in Shiroro and Rafi local government areas of Niger State by gunmen.

It was gathered that the invasion of the communities took place midnight Thursday. Spokesman of Niger State Emergency Management Agency, NSEMA, Ibrahim Audi, who confirmed the development, said:  “About 3,500 are currently displaced and they are now being camped at Kagara Central Primary School and Pandogari Primary School.”

The Agency said that the state government had provided some palliatives in form of food items and sleeping materials, adding that relief materials would be distributed to the affected people within the week.

“NSEMA has activated the temporal camps with profiling of the affected persons and health personnel have been deployed to the two camps, while the state government has ordered the provision of all requirements for camp operation,” he declared.

No official report concerning the development yet from the State Police Command and efforts to contact the Public Relations Officer of the Command, ASP Abubakar Mohammed proved abortive.  

Source: Vanguard

Bandits Kill Army Officer, 6 Civilians In Katsina

Bandits Kill Army Officer, 6 Civilians In Katsina

A senior military officer and six civilians have been reportedly killed by gunmen suspected to be bandits in Kasai village, Batsari Local Government Area of Katsina State.

The incident was said to have occurred, weekend, when the bandits invaded the village, ambushed the senior military officer of the rank of Captain and later went after the six civilians.

It was gathered that the bandits numbering 100 came out from the dreaded Rugu forest bordering the area to carry out the attack.

Governor Aminu Masari accompanied by the state Commissioner of Police, Sule Buba and the Brigadier General of 17 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Brigadier General Luqman, have paid a condolence visit to Kasai village in Batsari over the bandits’ attack.

Briefing the governor on the attack at the palace of Magajin Kasai, the transition committee chairman of Batsari council, Alhaji Mannir Mu’azu Rumah, said that the bandits numbering over 100 attacked Kasai Village on Saturday.

Alhaji Mannir explained that the bandits first attacked the military personnel stationed in the area, killing the captain and burning down the operational Hilux vehicle.

He added that they later entered the village and visited the houses of the six civilians separately and killed them.

He said the bandits made away with several animals, motorcycles and other valuables.

Reacting, the governor called on the residents to be their brother’s keepers by reporting any suspicious to security agencies.

He said government had been up and doing, which led to the posting of the joint military, police and other security personnel to keep vigil in the area.

The governor, however, asked residents to pray against a reoccurrence of the ugly incident.

During the visit, special prayers were said for the soul of the deceased.  

Source: Vanguard