Police Arrest Harberlist, Others For Armed Robbers

Police Arrest Harberlist, Others For Armed Robbers

Nigeria Police Force has arrested four suspected armed robbers, who attacked a manager of a filling station and robbed him off N3 million.

The suspects arrested are: Samuel Monday, 23 years from Kogi state; Isaac Kiri, 40 years from Rivers state; Alex Enyame 37 years from Imo state and their herbalist, Abdul Usman, 40 years from Kogi state. Police commissioner, CP Bala Ciroma explained that ” on the 5th May, 2019 at about 0800 hours, the manager of a filling station located in Lugbe was taking the sum of N3,000,000 naira to the bank on a motorcycle when the motorcycle was ambushed by four armed men who pushed the motorcycle and dispossessed her of the money.

“Other motorcycle riders in the area who thought it was an accident chased the vehicle carrying the suspects and in the process the tyre of the vehicle pulled out and the car was demobilized.

The suspects then ran into the bush around Piyakasa village.

The Police was then informed and the vehicle towed to the station. ”

Operatives then used the plate number to track the owner who is a member of the gang and was on his way with other gangs members for an operation at Jabi on the 6th May 2019.”

The CP further noted that “upon interrogation the gang members said they all came to Abuja at the instance of Friday, the gang leader who is at large for robbery.

They said planning an operation is always with an insider especially security guards in the houses so robbed.”

On his part, the herbalist Abdul stated that he use charms and incantations to cause  rain anytime they are going for an operation.

Exhibit recovered from them are; charms, one cutlass, one bar, one giant cutter, one sharp iron, two hacksaws and two vehicle plate numbers used during operation.

The Police also noted that efforts are on to arrest two members of the gang, Daddy and Friday who are on the run. 

 Source: Leadership

Over 1.3m JAMB Candidates Have Accessed Results

Over 1.3m JAMB Candidates Have Accessed Results

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says over 1.3 million candidates have  accessed their results using the result checker (code), 55019, the board’s Head, Media and Information, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, told reporters yesterday in Lagos.

More than 1.8 million candidates registered for the examination.

Benjamin was speaking against the backdrop of claims in some quarters that majority of candidates who wrote the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), were yet to access their results through the said code.

He also described as untrue, claims by some mischief-makers that the N50 charges incurred through the code was going to the board’s purse.

The JAMB spokesman said: “I want to refute all these claims as there is no truth in them. First and foremost, by our records, over 1.3 candidates who sat for this examination have accessed their results using the code for checking the results, which remains ‘55019’.

”Again, let me also state in clear terms that the N50 charged in the process of checking these results does not go to JAMB’s purse but to the various service providers.”

According to the spokesman, the clarification became necessary in view of what he described as “wicked and malicious rumours” by some persons that the board is charging a fee for checking of results.

Giving a breakdown of the total number of results checked by candidates through the various network providers, Benjamin noted that MTN had the highest, with a total of 888,598, followed by Glo, with a total of 190,923.

He said that coming third was Airtel, with a total of 104, 970 candidates who have so far accessed their result using the network.

Benjamin said before now, Airtel had some technical hitches, but thankfully, all such challenges had been addressed.

He noted that 62,170 candidates had also accessed their results using the 9mobile service provider.

The spokesman said that the board appreciated the concern of those candidates who had challenges accessing their results, and expressed the board’s sincere apologies to the development.

He noted that the board was partnering with the network providers in ensuring quality service in an attempt to forestall such occurrences in its subsequent examinations.

Benjamin said that plans were already in place to forward the results to candidates’ profiles for viewing and printing.

The results for the 2019 UTME were released on May 11.

Source: The Nation

Zamfara: Bandits Abduct 3-month-Old Baby, 7 Others, Kill

Zamfara: Bandits Abduct 3-month-Old Baby, 7 Others, Kill


Security forces are now trailing yet to be identified gunmen who invaded Kanoma village in Maru local government area of Zamfara State and abducted seven persons, including a three month old baby along with her mother, killing two people. An eyewitness, Malam Ibrahim Muhammed said in Gusau yesterday that the band

its in their hundreds besieged the area at about 3 am on Tuesday and fired gun shots sporadically in the air to scare the residents away.

Muhammad further explained that “It was while they were scaring the people with gun shots that they killed the two victims who came out in the confusion.

“We tried to raise alarm to security agencies who were stationed in different places along Sokoto/Gusau road, but everyone was afraid of being sighted by the assailants who held powerful fire arms,” he said.

He said the bandits went to the residence of one Dan Haja, a business man, beat him with iron rods and inflicted serious injuries on him after which they went away with his wife who is a nursing mother and her three months old baby.

He also said the bandits moved to the house of a retired Director-General in the state government, Alhaji Sani Abdullahi, and picked him too along with six other persons and disappeared.

“At a later time, they called to demand for a ransom of 50 million naira for the release of those abductees,” Muhammad said.

When contacted, the state Police Command spokesman, SP Mohammed Shehu confirmed the attack but said, “from the report we received, no one was killed and a total of eight persons mostly women and children were abducted by the attackers.”

He said, the command’s Tactical and Anti-terrorism units had been deployed to the area to trail the bandits and arrest them, adding that peace had been restored to the area.

He urged members of the public to always report such attacks or suspicious movements in good time so that assistance could come. 

Source: Leadership

Police Parade Suspected Criminals

Police Parade Suspected Criminals

Seventeen suspects were yesterday paraded in Akure, the Ondo State capital, by Police Commissioner Undie Adie for allegedly committing crimes.

Among them were Umoru Mohammed and one Ibrahim, who specialised in robbing people of their belongings by disguising as customers.

Another two suspects, Tunde Akinwumi, 20 and Tunde Akinboyewa, 25, were arrested for allegedly raping a teenager, Joy Akinnobun, 18 and a minor, Ilori Faith, who was rescued by a good Samaritan.

Adie said efforts were on to apprehend the other suspects at large, adding that the suspects would be charged to court after investigation.

He said armed robbers invaded the granite site of Crunberg Construction Company Nigeria Ltd at Omifon village near Ore, attacked the two night guards and overpowered them before vandalising the company’s equipment.

The suspects, Abubakar Ibrahim, 24, of Omifon village and Mohammed Bello, 25, who came from Kwara State, were arrested at Sweet Mother Street, Ore.

They confessed to the crime after interrogation by the police.

Other robbery suspects paraded by the police are Sola Tosin, Lamidi Lucky and Ojo Are.

The suspects were nabbed while attempting to dispossess Shaibu Success of his motorcycle with registration number KAA 045 VS.

Items recovered from the hoodlums are one locally made single barrel gun, three phones, one packet of cigarettes and other weapons.

The police commissioner urged the citizens to furnish them with information that would facilitate arrest of criminals.

Source: The Nation

Nigerian Navy Nabs 9 Foreigners, 2 Boats Over Stolen PMS

Nigerian Navy Nabs 9 Foreigners, 2 Boats Over Stolen PMS

The Nigerian Navy said it has arrested nine foreign nationals alongside two boats and seven trucks for allegedly stealing Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) around the Atlas Cove area of Lagos State.

The Commander, Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) BEECROFT, Commodore Ibrahim Shettima disclosed this to Journalist on Tuesday at the command in Apapa, Lagos said the arrests of the products, suspects, boats and the trucks took place between May 10 and 12 at Atlas Cove Island and Nigeria-Benin Republic Boarder.

According to him, on May 10 at about 02:00, a patrol team deployed on the Atlas Cove Island discovered two trucks containing about 200 x 25 Liter Plastic Cans around Akaraba area on the Atlas Cove Island.

“Although, no suspects were found at the scene, it is believed that the plastic cans were prepared for usage in storing illegally siphoned PMS from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) pipelines.

“In a separate incident on the same day, at about 05:00, the patrol team also discovered another five trucks conveying about 70 x 25 Litres plastic cans around Abule Glass area on the Atlas Cove Island.

“It is opined that the vehicles were kept in preparation for the movement of stolen product from the NNPC pipelines, “he said.

The Commander added that two boats and foreign nationals were also arrested by naval men on routine patrol along the Nigeria-Benin Boarder.

“On May 12 at about 18:00, a naval boat on routine patrol along Nigeria Benin Republic boarder intercepted 2 boats conveying a total of 85 x 250 Liter drums and another 150 X 25 Litres of plastic cans suspected to be containing Premium Motor Spirit (PMS).

“This is believed to have been stolen from NNPC pipeline laid on the Atlas Cove Island.

“As at the time of the intercept, the two boats had a total of nine crew members comprising of one Ghanaian and eight Beninoise.

“Investigation into the matter is ongoing with the view to unravelling their local collaborators and accordingly, the vehicles and exhibits are in own custody and would be handed over to prosecuting agencies,” he said.

Shettima said the Atlas Cove Island accommodated a NNPC storage facility, which was operated and managed by the Pipelines and Product Marketing Company (PPMC) a subsidiary of NNPC.

“The facility is designed as a transit depot to supply refined product to other NNPC depots at Mosimi, Ore, Ibadan and Shagamu areas.

“Over time, the facility is being threatened by activities of pipeline vandals and in a strive to check mate this ugly trend, the base heightened patrols on the island and its waterfront,” he said.

Source: Leadership

Zlatan, Three Others Freed, Naira Marley Still In EFCC Custody

Zlatan, Three Others Freed, Naira Marley Still In EFCC Custody

Nigerian musician, Omoniyi Raphael aka Zlatan, has been freed while Afeez Fashola aka Naira Marley is still being detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the ‘Zanku’ crooner and three others were released on Tuesday night.

Zlatan was released alongside his crewmembers, Tiamiu Abdulrahman Kayode, Adewunmi Adeyanju Moses and Abubakar Musa.

The 24-year-old Zlatan launched his career in 2017. He is best known for his hit song, “My Body” and the “Shaku Shaku” dance step.

He became famous in January 2019, after he featured on Davido’s song titled ‘bum bum’. He is also known for the ‘Zanku’ dance.

It reports that no official statement had been released by EFCC on reasons why Naira Marley was not released on bail at the time of this report.

The controversial singer, who was detained on May 10, repeatedly praised internet fraudsters, popularly called Yahoo boys, in his songs and on social media.


Source:
NAN