Nwafor Ekene, was on Wednesday arraigned in a Kubwa Grade 1 Area Court, Abuja, for allegedly threatening to pour acid on his girlfriend, Helen Okafor, Nigerian Tribune reports. Ekene, a resident of Kubwa, was docked on charges bordering on “criminal intimidation and inciting disturbance of public peace.’’ He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges. The prosecutor, Mr Babajide Olanipekun, had told the court that Helen reported the matter at the Kubwa Police Station on June 13. He alleged that Ekene went to Helen’s house without her consent with intent to cause a breach of peace and threatened to pour acid on her. According to the prosecutor, the action of the defendant, put Helen in the “state of fear of death,’’ adding that the offences contravened Sections 397 and 114 of the Penal Code. Counsel to Ekene, Mr Anenin Enabosi, urged the court to grant his client bail and promised that he would provide reliable surety. Olanipekun opposed the bail application on the grounds that Helen was Ekene’s girlfriend and issues of couples killing each other were on the increase. He also drew the attention of the court to the nature of the offence committed; adding that if bail was granted it should be under stringent conditions.
A doctor in the Lekki area of Lagos State, Dr Emmanuel Okolo, has been accused of brutalising a nurse, Dorcas Adeyera. The incident happened at the Awoyaya Hospital and Maternity Centre, Ibeju Lekki. Journalist gathered that Okolo and Adeyera’s misunderstanding stemmed from the treatment of a patient rushed into the medical facility in the early hours of Monday. Okolo was alleged to have frowned on the admission of the accident victim without his consent, blaming Adeyera for the action. The medical doctor allegedly summoned the 23-year-old into his office and ordered her to kneel down. When the victim refused, 35-year-old Okolo was alleged to have dealt her several slaps and also flogged her with a belt. Adeyera, in her report to the medical director of the hospital, said she was humiliated by Okolo. The report read in part, “Around 2am, there was an emergency outside the hospital. I stepped out to have a clear look at the patient, who was said to have been involved in an accident and already fractured a bone in his left leg. “The patient was conscious and alert; no obvious respiratory distress, but seemed to be in severe pain. I went back inside the hospital to notify the doctor on call, Dr Okolo Emmanuel, and immediately went back to move the patient inside the hospital. Source: Punch
The Social Media is agog with reports of the decision of the Nigerian Law School to formally Call to Bar, a hijab wearing Firdausi Amasa, who was denied the honour last year. The young female lawyer from University of Ilorin was disallowed to perform the ceremony because she refused to remove her hijab. “She will now be given her certificate; a thing of joy, victory to justice, fairness to humanity, Yushua Abdul tweeted. In another, “JUST IN’’ by Abubakar Usman said: “Nigerian Law School: Body Of Benchers Approves Use Of Hijab, Invites Amara Firdaus. “The Body of Benchers has approved the use of hijab during Call to Bar ceremony of young lawyers and that Firdaus Amasa.’’ Muhammed Ayuba tweeted: “Nigeria Law school approved the use of hijab during call to bar and call Amasa Firdous to bar…Alhamdulillah for this great news.’’ Another tweet by A. A. Sanyaolu @AAsanyaolu, said: “Hijab approved at law schools in Nigeria, you dey jubilate. That was expected because no such law against it but law school code of conduct. Don’t be too religious about it.’’ According to DawahNigeria @dawahnigeria, News reaching the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) on Thursday, 21st of June, 2018 says that Firdaus Amasa, the University of Ilorin Law graduate whose call to bar was denied due to her use of hijab has now been invited to attend the July 2018 call to bar. Source: Vanguard
Seven men, who allegedly stole 200 litres of diesel valued at N350,000, were on Wednesday brought before an Okitipupa Magistrates’ Court in Ondo State. The accused are Kolade Ayodele, 21; Francis Ayomide, 31; Isaac Akinnehin, 25; David Ogunfeyinmi, 27; Idowu Ajimuda, 25; Oke Enimoje, 27 and Ayodeji Bamidele, 24. They are facing a three-count charge bordering on unlawful possession and stealing. The prosecutor, Insp. Zedekiah Orogbemi told the court that the accused committed the offences on May 19 at 6.00p.m. on Okitipupa-Igbokoda Expressway. Orogbemi said that the police caught the accused with the diesel and they were unable to give a satisfactory explanation on how they came about it. He said that the offences contravened Sections 390 (9), 430 and 517 (a) of the Criminal Law of Ondo State, 2006. The accused, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges. In his ruling, the Magistrate, Mr Banji Ayeomoni, granted each of the accused bails of N100, 000 and a surety in like sum. Ayeomoni said that the sureties should show evidence of one year tax’s payment to the Ondo State Government. The case was adjourned until June 25 for the mention. Source: Nigerian Tribune
No fewer than 15 people have been confirmed dead following a Cholera outbreak in Bida Local Government Area of Niger State, Daily Sun reports. Ten other persons were in critical condition at the Umoru Sanda Memorial Hospital, in Bida, of the total of 60 cases of the disease reported so far in the area. Officials of the Council have, therefore, raised the alarm over the spread of the disease, which they said must be urgently curtailed. According to an official letter from the Bida Local Government Council, signed by the Council Secretary, Suleiman Sheshi, on behalf of the Chairman, and dated June 18, 2018 which was addressed to the state’s Commissioner for Health, Dr. Mustapha Jibrin, it said that the Council had no capacity to contain the outbreak. The letter, a copy of which was made available to our Correspondent, in Minna, on Monday evening, called on the state government to urgently come to the rescue of the Council, stressing that as at the time of the outbreak (Sunday) “only one medical Doctor was on call at the hospital due to manpower shortage”. “The General Hospital is lacking medical consumables and adequate facilities to cater for the present “emergent” health challenge. 15 out of the 60 people infected with the disease have been confirmed dead.” The letter continues: “The present situation at hand cannot be handled by the Bida LGA alone, part of the reason why this letter is written is to request for superior intervention from the state government. Prompt action from your part will, without any doubt, save a lot of lives presently at critical point of survival”, the letter concluded. In the meantime, the Council had in another letter titled “announcement” advised the people of the LGA to maintain the highest hygiene in other to avoid the spread of the outbreak. Specifically, the Council warned against drinking of unhygienic water, which is capable of spreading the disease in addition to telling residents “to be careful on the consumption of fruits already sliced for re-sale by grocers, and herbal concoction prepared under poor hygienic conditions. “Person or persons suspected to have contacted cholera should be rushed to nearby hospitals for treatment without delays”, the statement said. Adding, that “On no account should home treatment be used as an option”. “This second statement also signed by the Council Secretary warned that: “Whoever handles or has any form of contact with cholera patient should properly wash their hands with soap and detergents. Where these are not available, ashes should be used to wash the hands thoroughly.” When contacted on this development, the Commissioner for Health Dr. Mustapha Jibrin, said he was aware of the outbreak, saying that a team of five doctors had been sent to the area to contain further casualties.
Tragedy struck in Owerri as Tehila Nwaogu, the daughter of the Presiding Bishop of Praise Centre Incorporated in Owerri, Rev. Stafford Nwaogu, died following the burns she sustained in a fire incident at their residence, Punch reports. The incident happened on June 3 but Tehila was buried on June 9 on the day she was to celebrate her 24th birthday. A family source, told Southern City News on Tuesday that the remains of Tehila were buried amid tears on the day already set aside for her birthday celebration. He said the 24-year-old deceased was said to have been burnt beyond recognition following a gas flare from a cooking gas in the kitchen. Southern City News gathered that Tehila had finished conducting the first session of service on that ill-fated day and went back to the house to have her breakfast for the main church service when the incident happened. “She went to the house and on lighting the gas burner at the kitchen, flame overtook the kitchen and burnt her,” he said. He said that she was immediately taken to Umezuruike Hospital in Owerri, where she was later transferred to Federal Medical Centre in the same Owerri, but died on Thursday, June 7. “She did not die on the spot but was taken to the hospital. Four days after her admission to the hospital, she gave up the ghost,” he said. Tehila was also said to be a first year student of the Owerri campus of the National Open University of Nigeria. When contacted on the phone, Bishop Nwaogu described her as an amiable, loving and well-behaved child. While describing his daughter’s death as unfortunate, the bishop said he had yielded to the will of God Almighty.