Train Crushes 2 Persons To Death In Kano

Train Crushes 2 Persons To Death In Kano


The Police in Kano on Tuesday confirmed the death of two persons, who were crushed to death by a train in the state capital.

FRSC DSP. Abdullahi Haruna, the Police Public Relations Officer of the Kano Command, confirmed this in a statement.

Haruna said that on April 16, at about 8 a.m the police received a report that two yet-to-be-identified persons, who were stretched out on the railway track, had been crushed to death by a moving train behind Kano Club in Nasarawa Local Government Area of the state.

According to him, when the police visited the scene, it was discovered that one of the victims had cut in half by the moving train.

He said the corpses had been evacuated to a hospital, whose name he did not disclose.

The PPRO called on the public to steer clear of railway tracks to forestall unnecessary accidents, adding that sitting beside the railroad could be very dangerous.

As at the time of writing this report the identities, gender, and ages of the deceased had not been confirmed when NAN spoke with the PPRO on phone. He, however, told newsmen that the police would carry out an investigation on the incident.

Gunmen Kidnap Couple In Kogi, Shoot Their Child

Gunmen Kidnap Couple In Kogi, Shoot Their Child

The Commissioner of Police in Kogi, Mr. Hakeem Busari, on Monday confirmed the kidnap of one Mr. Henshaw Ativie and his wife in the state on Sunday by unknown gunmen.

Busari told the News Agency of Nigeria in Lokoja that the husband and wife were kidnapped along Itakpe-Adogo road in Adavi Local Government Area of the state.

He said that the couple, their seven-year-old son, and four-year-old twin daughters were travelling to Edo in their Jeep when they ran into the kidnappers on Sunday afternoon.

The Police Commissioner said that the abductors forced the vehicle to a stop by shooting at the tyres before ordering the occupants to come down.

According to him, the kidnappers later led the man and his wife into the nearby bush and left the three children stranded by the road side.

He said that policemen deployed to the scene discovered that one of the twins was hit by a bullet fired by the kidnappers.

The PC said that the girl was taken to hospital for treatment, while the remaining two children and the vehicle were in Police custody.

He promised that the men of Operation Puff Adder recently deployed to the state were already on the trail of the kidnappers, giving assurance that the couple would be rescued soon.

JAMB Arrests Over 50 ‘Professional Examination

JAMB Arrests Over 50 ‘Professional Examination


The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has arrested over 50 people who write the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) for candidates.

In its Weekend Bulletin, the Board disclosed that it has uncovered professional examination writers noting that master’s degree holders, post graduate and undergraduate students ‘were among the professional examination writers caught in the act’.

According to JAMB, the professional examination writers connive with owners of Computer Base Test (CBT) centres to perpetrate the crime adding that they organize multiple registrations where their print and the candidates they are taking the exam for are taken side by side.

JAMB revealed that one of the fraudsters who was apprehended confirmed that he organizes multiple registration of his biometrics alongside several candidates preparing to take the 2019 examination with the intention of taking the exams on their behalf in exchange for money.

It added that JAMB has in this 2019 examination, insisted on revalidation of all biometrics of candidates so as to apprehend people planning on engaging in examination malpractices.

It was later stated that JAMB has insisted that only candidates who were verified by biometrics will be allowed to take the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) that started on April 11, 2019.

It stated that any candidate that cannot be verified by the Biometric Verification Mode must not be allowed to take the examination under any guise. 

Source: Leadership

Court give Evans, Others June Deadline To Hire Lawyers

Court give Evans, Others June Deadline To Hire Lawyers

 Justice Hakeem Oshodi of an Ikeja High Court has ordered alleged, Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike alias Evans and three other defendants to ensure they have legal representation by June 14.

Evans is standing trial alongside Uche Amadi, Ogechi Uchechukwu, Chilaka Ifeanyi, Okwuchukwu Nwachukwu and Victor Aduba over the alleged kidnap of the Chief Executive Officer of Maydon Pharmaceutical Limited, Mr Donatius Dunu.

NAN reports that the six were arraigned on Aug. 30, 2017 on two counts of conspiracy and kidnapping.

According to the prosecution, they allegedly kidnapped Dunu and collected 223,000 Euros (N100m) as ransom. Evans and his co-defendants had pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

At resumption of the trial on Thursday, proceeding was stalled due to the absence of defence counsel for Evans, Amadi, Uchechukwu and Ifeanyi. Recall that the counsel had pulled out of the case as Evans could no longer pay his legal fees.

Following the development, Justice Oshodi mandated Evans and the three other defendants to ensure they have legal representation by June 14, the next adjourned date.

The judge also directed that counsel from the Office of the Public Defender (OPD) be in court on the next adjourned date to represent the defendants in case they failed to get counsel to represent them in court.

“If on the next day, the defence counsel are not around, the courts will order the defendants to either represent themselves or the court invokes Section 233(3) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law.

“The prosecution shall also notify the Office of the Public Defender (OPD) to be in court on the next adjourned date.
“This case is adjourned to June 14 for the continuation of the evidence of PW4,” Justice Oshodi said.

Earlier during proceedings, Mr Emmanuel Ochai, the defence counsel representing Aduba (sixth defendant), told the court that other kidnap trials involving Evans have been stalled in other courts for the same reason.

“We were before your learned brother yesterday at the High Court in Igbosere and we had the same issue.

“Due to the absence of the counsel to the first (Evans) and fourth (Ifeanyi) defendants here, the matter was stalled.

“I really do not know why there is no legal representation but we as counsel to the sixth defendant (Aduba) are ready to proceed,” Ochai said.

Mr A. A Uzokwu, the counsel to the fifth defendant (Nwachukwu), also told the court that they were ready to proceed but was handicapped because of the absence of the other defence counsel.

“What is happening now is like they are like a stationary vehicle, some of us are behind and that stationary vehicle and because it is not moving, we cannot move,” he said.

When asked why he had no legal representation Evans told the court “I did not communicate with him.

Amadi, Uchechukwu and Ifeanyi also told the court that they had not communicated with their defence counsel.

Reacting to the absence of the defence counsels for the first to fourth defendants, Mr Y.G Oshoala a Director in the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) asked the court to appoint counsel for the defendants.

“My Lord, yesterday we were before your learned brother Justice Akintoye at the Igbosere High Court.

“The case was adjourned and that was the third adjournment granted by that court at the instance of the first defendant (Evans).

“It is a game they are playing and I pray the court assist the state and invoke Section 233(3) of the ACJL which allows the court to appoint counsel for the defendants in these circumstances.

“We brought our witness from out of jurisdiction or if the defendants so wish, they can defend themselves, it is their constitutional right,” Oshoala said.

A policeman and the fourth prosecuting witness, Insp Idowu Haruna, was in court to testify in the proceedings that was eventually stalled.

Unilag Students Arraigned Over Alleged Attempted Rape Of Course Mate

Unilag Students Arraigned Over Alleged Attempted Rape Of Course Mate


Two University of Lagos students, who allegedly attempted to rape their course mate, on Thursday, appeared before a Yaba Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos on a five-count charge.

Ikedi Okpanlanedu, 21, and Samuel Idongesit, 20, are facing charges of conspiracy, attempted rape, assault, impersonation and threatening violence.

Police Sgt. Modupe Olaluwoye, prosecuting the case, told the court that the undergraduates invited the course mate, who was a makeup artiste, to a hotel room and attempted to rape her.

Olaluwoye said that the defendants committed the offences at 4.40p.m. On April 1 at Peace Land Hotel, Folagoro, Lagos State.

Olaluwoye said that the defendants promised to introduce the makeup artiste to a person who needed her service.

She submitted that the defendants attempted to rape the lady on her arrival at the hotel room.

“My lord, they strangled her because she was calling for help. It was a hotel staff, Mr Ohaeri Godlove, who heard her screaming and called the hotel security. “Okpanlanedu claimed to be an army personnel, and threatened to stab her with a knife he was holding, if she would not co-operate with them.

“The knife was recovered from the crime scene, and we intend to tender it in evidence,” she said.

The alleged offences contravene Sections 411, 262, 170 (1), 380 and 56 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that attempted rape attracts 14 years’ imprisonment while impersonation is punishable with three years’ jail term.

The defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges, and were granted bail by Chief Magistrate Peter Ojo in the sum of N200,000 with two sureties each in like sum.

Ojo directed that the sureties must be gainfully employed and possess evidence of three years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.

The case was adjourned until June 26 for mention. (NAN)

Police Kill Wanted Armed Robbery Kingpin During Gun Duel In Enugu

Police Kill Wanted Armed Robbery Kingpin During Gun Duel In Enugu



The Enugu State Police Command has shot dead a wanted armed robbery kingpin, known as KC, during a gun duel between police and his gang members in the state.

The command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Ebere Amaraizu, made the disclosure in a statement in Enugu on Wednesday.

He said police operatives recovered one locally made pistol and three live cartridges from the deceased.

Amaraizu remarked that the confrontation that lasted over 30 minutes took place at the hideout of the armed robbery kingpin and his gang in Obolloafor area of Udenu Local Government Area on April 7 at about 7 p.m.

“Police operatives confronted the armed robbers and kidnappers in their hide-out following coordinated intelligence information,” he said.

Amaraizu said that the armed robbers engaged security operatives before they were overpowered just as the deceased hoodlum got injured.

“He was rushed by police operatives to a nearby hospital for medical attention and was later confirmed dead by a doctor on duty.

“Others believed to have escaped with bullet injuries are being searched for, with an intensified manhunt on them,” Amaraizu added.

The police spokesman, however, said that a full-scale investigation had commenced into the incident.

Source: Tribune